Standard Authentication Service
You receive a PSE Certificate of Authenticity, which includes the correct Scott catalogue number, year of issue, denomination, color, and description of the condition of the stamp. A full-color photographic representation of the stamp appears on the certificate. PSE's opinions are guaranteed.
Graded Certificate of Authenticity
The PSE Graded Certificate of Authenticity includes all of the information contained in our Standard Certificate of Authenticity, as well as a PSE Standardized Philatelic Grade. ™ (singles and coil pairs only)
Grading and Encapsulation Services
The authenticated and graded stamp is sonically-sealed in a handsome, durable, tamper-evident display case. Information about the stamp, including the Scott catalogue number, color, year of issue, denomination, overall numeric grade, philatelic description, unique control number, and bar code PSE identification number, appears on an archival paper insert that is secure within the display case. All of the material used in the encapsulation of your stamp (plastic, ink and paper) is chemically-inert and completely safe for use with stamps (singles and coil pairs only). In addition, the grade of encapsulated stamps is guaranteed.
- Submissions are accepted for five services. See the List of Services and Prices.
- MODERN: Generally for stamps made 1932 and later, with a 2009 Scott catalog value of $100 or less. Some more recent Airmails and Duck Stamps are accepted as well. The minimum quantity of stamps accepted on a MODERN submission is ten (10) items.
- ECONOMY: Generally for stamps made 1922 and later, with a 2009 Scott catalog value of $100 or less. Some more recent Airmails, Special Deliveries, Postage Dues, Officials, Special Handling and Duck Stamps are accepted. The minimum quantity of stamps accepted on an ECONOMY submission is five (5) items.
- REGULAR: All front-of-the-book U.S. stamps plus back-of-book issues as listed. Stamps with a 2009 Scott catalog value up to $650 may be submitted.
- SPECIALIZED: For Postal Stationary, Hawaii, Postmaster Provisionals, Private Perforations, Revenues, Errors, Varieties and Covers. There is no value limit.
- Only one service may be submitted per submission form. You cannot mix Modern, Economy, Regular or Specialized stamps on one form. If you do, your order will be delayed.
- You may also choose what you would like to receive from us.
- Ungraded Certificate: Our ungraded certificate identifies the Scott Number of the stamp, whether it is used or unused, the gum condition and any significant faults.
- Graded Certificate: Our graded certificate includes a numeric grade as outlined in our booklet A Guide to the Grading of United States Postage Stamps in addition to the information shown on the Ungraded Certificate above. At this time, PSE grades only undamaged and unaltered genuine singles and coil pairs.
- Encapsulated: Your stamp will be returned in our exclusive tamper-proof plastic holder, which protects the stamp and makes it eligible for our Grading Guarantee in addition to the Authenticity Guarantee carried by all PSE-certified products. See our Guarantee for details.
- PSE will strive to reduce the expertizing fee to reflect the amount due based on our final opinion of the item as it pertains to the Scott Number or the stamp's state: i.e. Mint, or Used. However, we reserve the right to cover our direct processing costs (up to $100 per item) involved with its expertization. In no event will the fee ever exceed that which would have applied had the item proven to be "as submitted." Our fee will neither be increased, or decreased based on the grade which we assign the item.
- We are no longer expertizing stamps from the following categories: Philippines, Locals and Carriers, Essays and Proofs, Canal Zone and Confederate States.
PSE 2012 Schedule of Services and Fees
|Service Type||Fee Per Stamp||What Can Be Submitted||Minimum Submission Quantity||Maximum Scott Catalog Value (SCV)||Approximate Turnaround Time|
$10 Min or 5% SCV
Reject Fee $6
USA: 1932 to date
Canada, China and other non US: 1942 to date
|10||2 to 4 Weeks|
|ECONOMY||$20 Min or 5% SCV||
Canada: 1935 - 1941 Currently no economy service for other countries
6% of SCV
Min: $32 (graded)
Min: $27 (ungraded)
USA: Scott No. 1 to 1921 (postage) Back of Book - incl Revenues, Hawaii & Confederate States
other non-US: pre-1942
(will grade most Multiples as listed in Scott Catalog)
5% of SCV
Covers, Private Perforations, Postal Stationary, Postmaster Provisionals, Proofs, Errors, Freaks & Oddities and Footnoted items
NOT ALL SPECIALIZED ITEMS CAN BE GRADED
|1||$600||4 to 6 Weeks|
|$20 / No Charge||Original certificate and stamp must accompany submission.||1||None||30 business days|
|RECONS||$35 / No Charge if changed||Only available to original submitter and certificate must be less than 45 days old. Original certificate and stamp must accompany submission.||1||None||30 business days|
|PRIORITY||$20 additional per stamp||Any Regular order.||1||None||15 business days|
For Priority Handling: Add $20 per stamp. Turnaround approx. 10 - 15 business days.
Priority Handling may be added to any Regular Submission Invoice for an additional $20 per stamp. Note that Priority Handling must be added to ALL stamps on a particular invoice, not selected stamps.
|Additional Services||Correction||No Charge|
|Convert from graded certificate to slab||$ 20.00|
|Convert from slab to graded / ungraded certificate||$ 20.00|
|Remove grade from certificate||$ 20.00|
|Duplicate cert at time of submission||$ 5.00|
|Duplicate cert at a later date||$ 20.00|
|Reconsideration (no charge if opinion changes)||$ 35.00|
|Plating charge||$ 35.00|
When Scott does not list a catalog value, the balue used will be PSE's estimate of market value..
In the event the final opinion indicates an item to have a lesser value than as submitted, PSE's fees will be reduced to the greater of either the fee pertaining to what the final opinion would indicate for that service ($35.00 minimum) or PSE's processing cost (up to $100). Should the final opinion indicate an item to have a fee greater than that shown at submission, then the larger fee shall pertain.
All PSE items are guaranteed. See guarantee for details.